Having a Sense of Humor Can Empower You
Keeping a positive approach.
The desire for acceptance, love and recognition is a very powerful drive in human behavior. We all want to be liked, supported and treated with respect from those around us. Unfortunately, we don't always get what we want. Sometimes those who we seek love, acceptance and support from simply refuse to give it or, because of issues of their own, simply don’t deliver it. Issues, I might add, that typically have nothing to do with you. It's the difference, however, between what you want and what you get from those around you that often sets your emotional temperature and creates your level of happiness and contentment.
If you find yourself in this boat and are not getting what you want and need from those around you, why not make today the day you start taking action. My theory is this. If someone does something that consistently upsets you and you say nothing, you have no right to be upset if they continue that behavior. So here’s your assignment today. Pick one person in your life that consistently does this to you and tell them, in a loving and non-confrontational way, what you really want from them. This is how you begin to close the gap between what you want and what you get.
Living a life of positive thinking and laughter is bound to have you
feeling happier and more successful throughout your day-to-day
routine. In fact, people who make positive thinking and laughter a
key goal in their lives tend to experience more daily success and
happiness than anyone else. There are key steps to achieving
happiness by incorporating a good attitude and a sense of humor in
your life: visualizing goals and maintaining the right attitude.
Visualizing goals and going after them is a key component to
positive thinking because it is a successful technique that helps
you achieve the results you want. Keeping a good attitude towards
life is a great way to make laughter a greater part of your life.
Having a sense of humor can empower you, even in the most
distressing situations. Instead of making a bad situation worse, a
sense of humor can help you overcome any negative emotions and get
you in the frame of mind to solve whatever problem is at hand.
The next time something unexpected comes up, assess the situation and try to view it as a learning experience rather than see yourself as a victim. Only when you get past your negativity will you be able to empower yourself enough to come up with a solution to whatever is bothering you. You shouldn’t sugar coat the facts and be in denial about what is happening, but a positive attitude can only help the situation.
Tips for Maintaining a Positive Attitude:
1. Think of solutions – Don't think of problems, think of solutions instead. Focusing on how seemingly impossible the problems you have in your life are will not help you solve them any more quickly. Instead, analyze the issues and focus on a way to solve them.
2. Make yourself laugh – Watch some comedies or read a funny story. Always try to make time in your day to find a way to laugh. Have a sense of humor about less significant things that might otherwise irritate you.
3. Lift your mood with music – Listen to music that relaxes you or uplifts you. Giving yourself energy through listening to music you like is a useful tool for developing your positive outlook.
4. Inform yourself – Read inspirational books or anything else that inspires you. This will keep your thoughts positive and will help you find different ways to stray from negativity.
5. Do good for others as well as yourself – Doing at least one task (however small) each day to make someone else’s day a little better will help create and spread your “happy habit”. Besides, a little good karma wouldn’t hurt.
6. Share other people’s joy – Be happy for others and don't envy their happiness. It's sometimes hard to see other people experiencing joy if you are not happy. Instead of feeling envious of them, just feel happy for them. Not only will it make others feel better, you will profit from not indulging in negative thoughts that may be harmful to your health or mental state.
7. Surround yourself with genuinely positive people – If you surround yourself with genuine people with positive attitudes and laughter, you will find that you will catch some of that energy. People who have already developed good attitudes are more likely to help you create your own positive outlook.
8. Give yourself credit – Focus on your accomplishments and don’t dwell on the things you didn't accomplish (within reason). Focusing on goals you have met will help you develop plans to meet new goals.
Depending on your goals, achieving them can be simple or more complicated. But, with a plan in place to visualize your goals and accomplish them properly, you can achieve what you want more quickly. Many people struggle with their goals in life because they don’t know how to make a plan to get where they want to be.
This often leads to frustration and negative feelings. Don't let negativity break you down. Instead, use your energy to find ways to step towards what you wish to have in life and make it happen. The following section will help you develop a plan to accomplish what you want in life.
Visualize Your Goals
Visualizing your goals is a great way to practice a more empowering point of view. Believing in yourself is having confidence that you can succeed. You have to visualize yourself actively encountering and resolving any issues that stand in your way.
Visualizing your goals is actually a very simple and practical and technique can be done simply by sitting down at home in a quiet room and taking some time to yourself. People that regularly visualize what they want to achieve, perhaps even on a daily basis, find that they have the power to perform properly and with confidence when situations arise that may test their resolve. Below are some additional steps you can take to create more positive thinking and laughter in your life.
Tips for Visualizing Your Goals:
1. Identify the goal – If you want to run a little each day for your health, for example, you will want to make a mental note of that and identify it as the goal you want to visualize.
2. Relax – Find a comfortable and quiet place to sit and relax. This will involve eliminating all distractions. Turn off your cell phone, turn off the TV and allow yourself to be in the quiet moment.
3. Clear your thoughts – Close your eyes and allow yourself to relax in the moment of silence. Free your mind from any intruding thoughts that may get in the way of visualizing your goal.
4. Imagine your goal – Imagine yourself running, think about the preparation you will need to do, think about any stretching or warming up you'll want to do before you run, and so on. The more clearly you can perceive your goal in your mind, the better the results of goal visualization.
5. Imagine yourself completing the goal – Take a moment to perceive what it will feel like after you have accomplished this goal. Think of the happiness, the joy and the excitement you will feel after accomplishing your achievement.
6. Imagine how it feels to complete the goal – As you open your eyes, keep your focus on visualizing the feeling that you received after completing your goal. Take this feeling with you throughout the day and remember it often.
You may not have the time or opportunity to visualize your goals each time you want to accomplish one, but you can draw on parts of this process. Keep positive when you encounter a step you need to make in your life and try to focus in on the feeling you will receive after successful completion of that particular step. This will help you focus on the positive part of completing your goal and will help you achieve the clarity needed.
Laughter: Just What
the Doctor Ordered
More and more people have become aware that they have the power to improve their lives with their thoughts rather than having to rely completely on outside sources. Visualizing and accomplishing your goals as well as staying positive in times of adversity are tools that can be used to empower yourself. If you have an unrealized goal or would simply like to have a lighter outlook in life, the good news is that it’s never too late to change the course of your life. Change can start with a thought, and with the proper visualization techniques you can find a way to achieve your goals in a self-affirming manner. Open your mind to the benefits of positive thinking and laughter – you might find the happiness you’ve been searching for.
Do You Have a Bad Attitude?
Remember those posters in the halls of your elementary school? The ones that said "Attitude is everything!" or "Attitude: A little thing that makes a big difference!" They seemed silly at the time, but these words of wisdom are appropriate no matter what age you are. If you want to encourage someone to look at you with a positive attitude then you have to display that you are in a positive mood and that you are a fun person to be around.
This site was last updated 04/24/12